NEWFOUNDLAND.WS   HOME CONTACT US

Logy Bay - Middle Cove - Outer Cove   
Unofficial   
 

History Our Community Photos Stats


History

Town History
Museum
Red Cliff  History
Transatlantic Cable
The SPA of Logy Bay


Sports History

Our Regatta History

Regatta Crews:
1901 Outer Cove
1923-26 Outer Cove
1928 Breen's East End
1981 Outer Cove
1982 Outer Cove
1983 Outer Cove

1985 Outer Cove

1989 Outer Cove

2001 Outer Cove

2005 Canada Games






The SPA of Logy Bay

One of the best kept secrets of this area was the mineral spring located in the vicinity of the Ocean Sciences Centre in Logy Bay.  It is believed that the spring was situated approximately 20 or 30 feet from the edge of the cliff below the present-day parking lot of the Ocean Sciences Centre.  Though known by early settlers for its curative water, the spring was not “discovered” by outsiders until the mid 1800’s.  In the 1850’s, Dr. Keilley, a well known St. John’s physician, in one of this house calls, drank the spring water at Logy Bay.  Dr. Kielley, was intrigued by the spring’s local reputation for healing.  With the help of Captain Prescott, Governor of Newfoundland, a sample was sent to Sir William Herepath, a well known British Scientist, to be tested.  Herepath’s results indicated that he spring water contained high quantities of Bicarbonate of  Iron, even more than the famous King’s Bath in Bath, England.  In a letter to Governor Prescott, Herepath wrote:

“I believe that the waters could be used with advantage if arrangements could be used with advantage of the water’s curative powers.  Despite its promise as a tourist attraction, the venture failed and no other attempts were made to encourage the spring’s development.”

Unfortunately, the spring has not been used for many years and its potential has been forgotten.  Today the location of the spring is somewhat uncertain and may be overgrown. 
 

Source: The Logy Bay - Middle Cove - Outer Cove Heritage Committee
 


Original content is Copyright©2004-14 by Kevin Elliott.
This site has no affiliation with The Town of LB-MC-OC, it is strictly a personal website.